Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Questions

In his book "Dangerous Wonder," Mike Yaconelli discusses risky curiosity. The risk of asking questions. Mike suggests that people are afraid to ask questions for the following reasons:
  1. Questions can be embarrassing.
  2. Questions can make people uncomfortable.
  3. Questions can be dangerous.
  4. People think there are "right and wrong" questions.
This is a character trait that I don't lack. I love to ask questions. I don't really care if the questions make others uncomfortable either. I believe good questions are vital to the spiritual journey.

What happens when people ask questions? Often times they get isolated from others. The four reasons given above causes others to be uncomortable around people who dare to ask questions. I've experienced this many, many times. Just go to a church ministry meeting and start asking question. . . Mike says, "Our questions may chase everyone else away, but they attract Jesus. We may be stuck with our questions, but we are also stuck with Jesus. If our questions leave us alone with Jesus, then lonely isn't a bad place to be."

Here are some of the questions I'm asking, and will continue to ask. Feel free to add to the list....

  • What does it mean to love, and be loved by Jesus?
  • What does it mean to be the Church, the Bride of Christ?
  • What helps me recognize the presence of Jesus in my life?
  • What does it mean to have relationships? With others? With Jesus?
  • Where is Jesus leading me? The others that I'm journeying with?
  • How is Jesus expressing himself through me? The others I'm journeying with?
On a personal note, there are some other questions:
  • Jesus, when will I find a job!
  • Jesus, could you give me some more direct direction.
Kinda, kidding.....



No comments: