Sunday, December 05, 2004

Learning to Receive

We haven't been in the best financial position as of late, and the pastor at our church dropped off a Christmas present. It was a $650 check that said it was from "our friends"! I was floored! Now, it's okay if I do that for someone else, but you can't do that for me!!! You see, I have a lot to learn about receiving....

It is much easier to give than receive. I don't mind giving until it hurts for those that I know are in need. Especially those I am close to. But, when it comes to being on the receiving end of the gift....that is another story. It is humbling to be the receiver. I don't know about you, but my carnal nature doesn't like humility!

Here is the problem. I HAVE to learn to be a good receiver. I am on the receiving end of my relationship with God. He acted first, I am just reacting. He is giving, I am receiving. If I can't learn how to receive on earth, how can I learn to receive in the spiritual realm?

It does not escape me how much this attitude ties in to my continuing study on tithing. When Paul talks about giving in 2Cor this is what he says:

2Co 8:5 This was totally spontaneous, entirely their own idea, and caught us completely off guard. What explains it was that they had first given themselves unreservedly to God and to us. The other giving simply flowed out of the purposes of God working in their lives.

Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. You have received freely, freely give.

If those who were so generous to us are reading this....Thank you, both for the gift and the reminder of what it means to receive....

No comments: