Monday, June 20, 2005

Fourth of July Memories

We had our first "break" yesterday. I had a great Father's Day breakfast on the porch, some great homemade cards from the kiddos, some grilling paraphernalia (to go with my new barrel grill/smoker!), and some new books. We went out to supper with the rest of my family to celebrate with my Dad....very nice.

Camping was interesting. Giant City State Park has some great trails! The kids were not so great on the other hand. It was one of those wake-up calls when God says "What the hell are you doing with your kids!" Parenthood is such an adventure. . .the balance of grace and law. . .or is there any balance?

With the Fourth of July approaching I though I'd share a memory. I like fire. I like things that explode. I like the Fourth of July!

We lived on a large sloaping hill when I was a kid. So everyone had railroad ties for the flower boxes in front of their houses. When I was about 12 years old I was at a neighbors house the next street over. We had scored some M-80's and figured out that we could load it into holes in the railroad tie, pack rocks around it with the wick sticking out and it would shoot the rocks like a cannon! FUN TIMES! We must have done that for awhile before we started blowing up army men and GI Joes and other stuff...

Apparently his railroad ties must have smoldered all day long . . . Around midnight someone driving down the street saw flames shooting up from this poor guy's flowerbox and started banging on his door! He had to call the fire department to put it out. . . OOOPS!

Good memories. . .

No comments: