Tuesday, May 30, 2006

School Year in Review

My introduction to the world of the public school system was. . .well. . .interesting. I spent the last 9 months working as a Teacher's Asst. in a Behavior Disorder room with 4 other teachers and 7 kids. Almost all of these kids have endearing qualities, but unfortunately, most of those qualities are hidden behind emotional and psychological baggage that cause them to act out in ridiculous ways. Almost all of them have home lives that are a big contributor to their behavior. It is quite sad really.

I entered this job naively thinking that I could make a difference in these kids lives. I prayed for them everyday before school. I learned how to diffuse tense situations by watching the social worker. I learned to use restraint techniques, and used them when it was required (which was way to often!). I prayed for them while they were kicking and screaming and crying and threatening and throwing things and breaking things and . . .

If I measured the efficacy of prayer by results I would have to say that prayer is worthless. But I don't. Even if I don't see the results now, I can only hope that seeds were planted, and that somewhere down the line God will intervene in these kids lives in a dramatic way. Unfortunately, if He doesn't Law Enforcement probably will. . .

I don't have a guaranteed job next year, so I don't know if I will be back or not. We will see what God has in store. . .

No comments: