Monday, July 28, 2008

Monotheism and Hate

Does monotheism lead to hate?

One critic of religious faith that I've recently read claims that monotheism, in general, seems to foster intolerance. It's hard to argue against it in our current world climate. Judaism has done nothing to foster a resolution with the Palestinians, Muslims are blowing themselves up everyday in the name of Allah, and fundamentalist Christians feel the need to wipe out what they consider to be social liberals.

I don't know if the problem is monotheism itself, but I find it interesting that there is a move toward the extremes in monotheistic religions. On the one side we have "liberal monotheism", influenced by existentialism, that must dismiss a large portion of the scriptures upon which they are based, and on the other hand "fundamentalist monotheism" which turns those same scriptures into fuel for hate and violence.

Perhaps these extremes are what happens when people who have not had an authentic religious experience take control of religious institutions.

What do you think?

4 comments:

steve s said...

Hi Roger.

Been a while since I commented. Hope you are doing well.

I have heard similar comments concerning religion causing hatred. I am not sold on it though since I think it is part of the sinful condition of man no matter what belief system is invovled. For instance a lot of hatred has been shown in communist socieities as well.

I think that the issue is power and wanting to be in control. When religion becomes a part of the form of government then it has no choice but to try to preserve itself. But that's just my thought at this time.

Kent said...

Roger, can you define how you are see this expressed. I understand the other one well enough.

Roger said...

I guess I'm saying that monotheism tends to develop extreme intolerance. I don't this is necessarily different from other religions, but if the "one God" of our monotheistic religions is the "one, true God" I would think that would make a difference in how Jews, Christians and Muslims lived as compared with those who do not hold that faith. Not only is there not a difference in how we live, but Jews, Christians and Muslims all have extreme fundamentalist tendencies which strips it of it;s usefulness to the world. I hope that makes sense...Its too early.

Kent said...

I messed up Roger, I left out what I was asking you to explain. I understand the problem you were referring to with the Monotheistic religions. I meant to post this for you to explain:

On the one side we have "liberal monotheism", influenced by existentialism

For me Jesus is the key and unfortunately the Christian religion (which is no different than Islam and Judaism) has locked him up in all kinds of distortions because they let the angry god image of the OT color Jesus and it was Jesus that made it possible for the very first time ever for humans to see who God (a Father) truely is.