Thursday, June 12, 2003

I decided to blow off writing my "12 Angry Men" paper and write some more of my story....I'll go with the shortened "Mark" version...

I started using drugs in the fourth grade (parents beware). My parents put me in a drug treatment center my freshman year of high school and I got out and promptly went back to using drugs. Two acquaintances of mine decided to rob a guys house and wound up killing two guys and getting life in prison. This was my "wake up call". I went to 12 step groups for almost 12 years before God really started tugging on my heart. I wanted to live a spiritual life, but I just didn't see the kind of life I wanted to live modeled in the 12 step groups. As we were preparing for marriage I told Trish that we would never celebrate Easter in our house because I didn't believe in all that "Jesus" stuff. Trish and I got married in Vegas and her uncle sensed that we were seeking spirituality and tried to convert us to Mormonism. I read all that he sent me and it caused me to read the Bible for the first time in many years. I started reading the Bible and watching some of the televangelists. Six months after I told Trish we would never celebrate Easter we were walking into a church behind the house we had just bought....

No comments: