Monday, June 09, 2003

I'm a Blogging virgin. I started reading some Blogs from people on a journey to do "church" a different way. I discovered that I'm not crazy because I think church should be a place where life-change takes place; where people love each other in tangible ways; where following Christ is a lifestyle rather than a Sunday morning event; where every person discovers and uses their gifts and talents in an affirming environment; where our goal is to transform our community rather than look at our bellybuttons.

It turns out there is movement of house churches (sometimes called missional communities) that are taking these concerns very seriously. Rather than complain about their issues in already established churches they are meeting in homes and changing their community one life at a time. How cool! And how sad! That it takes a new/ancient form of church to (re)emerge because the existing churches are enslaved to models that won't/can't address these issues.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to come across as totally negative about tradional and contemporary churches. There are some large churches doing some great things, but I think it would do the Church good to rethink our mission and purpose.

The next few posts will be some thoughts about my journey and what led me to the point I'm at now...

No comments: