Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Thoughts

So, we attended a church service for the first time in a month this past week. Someone asked me if I missed it. . . I can honestly say that I didn't miss the service one bit, but I did miss seeing some of the people.

I find it interesting how many people say that they miss you when they make no attempt to contact you. Seriously, other than our close friends maybe two people got a hold of us. I realize that many of the people in our institution aren't where we are at, but the lack of any resemblance of community is disheartening. I think what they missed was what we bring to the service in way of music. To be honest, that makes me feel a little used, but I guess I already knew that. . .

During our time off I can honestly say that I did not feel any closer to God, or any farther away from God, than I usually do. What I did feel was far less busy. We had more time to spend with our family. No crazy Wed. night running around, and Sunday mornings were actually pleasant for a change!

I know there are a lot of people who don't understand our decisions and our direction. I'm not even sure that I do some of the time. But I know this. God is not relegated to a church building. God does not talk through the same person week after week. God wants people to take responsibilty for their own spirituality. God does not want a building full of consumers.

If you care about us, and really don't understand what the heck we are talking about please read THIS. It probably explains much about how we feel about institutional church better than we could. . .

No comments: