Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Army of the Broken

Our friends from England have been here and gone. Rich is my oldest and dearest friend. We met in Hollywood, CA at music school when neither of us knew the Lord and now we are both followers. Rich is always a breath of spiritual fresh air. He brought two friends this time: Simon and Val who are also gems.

They spent a week at IHOP. Not eating pancakes either. It is the International House of Prayer in K.C. When they arrived here they felt like they had some unfinished business there and that we should join them. I can be spontaneous, but a 5 hour trip with the kids is a stretch for me. We threw some stuff in a suitcase, packed up the kids and a cooler and went. I was a bit skeptical....organized religion.....charismatic prophecy.....and all of that.....

When we got there the worship didn't seem like anything special, other than it has been going on 24/7 for the last 4 years. And it definately was not a show. These people could care less how the people were reacting. They were going for it for God and God only. But I sensed God telling me that I wasn't going to get anymore of Him there than I would anywhere else. I was willing....but no real connection.

At 10:00pm another worship team was taking over (seamless transitions of whole bands by the way). The leader sat down at the piano and played a couple of familar tunes as her band got into place. Then it happened. Misty Edwards began spontaneous prophecying/preaching as she sang. I have never experienced anything quite like it. Quite definately God-led.

The next day we met one of Rich's friends from England (Who "happened" to be there the same week). Paul is an older gentleman with gentleness in his spirit and wisdom in his words. He knew a little of our story and he had been through some similar stuff. A pastor booted out of his church....lost it all....broken...angry.....desperate in the silence....

And as he prayed over us he said:

"What you have been through was not a mistake or a failure. You have been led by God so that you could join an army of the broken."

Hos 2:14-16
Therefore, I am going to persuade her, lead her to the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her vineyards back to her and make the Valley of Achor into a gateway of hope. There she will respond as she did in the days of her youth, as in the day she came out of the land of Egypt. In that day--the LORD's declaration--you will call Me: My husband. . .

No comments: