Sunday, January 15, 2006

Spirit, Soul and Body

I've been giving some thought to the fact that we have a spirit, soul and body.

1Th 5:23 And may the God of peace Himself sanctify you, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blamelessly at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now, I've always been told that the soul is composed of the mind, will and emotions. It is what makes us a unique person. The body is pretty self-explanatory. But the spirit....my spirit....hmmm.

1Co 6:17 But he being joined to the Lord is one spirit.

So, if Paul is saying that God has placed His uncreated Spirit in my created body it makes sense of some other motifs of Paul. My spirit is God's Spirit. The working of God in my life is an inside-out job.

Now, if all Christians have God's Spirit why are there crabby-assed, sour, sick, sin-filled Christians around who have gone to church most of their lives? I'm not trying to be judgemental, but you know the people that I'm talking about. The folks who usually sit on the church boards, run the church councils.... Why is the Spirit apparently not working in their lives? Is the Spirit weak? Can't be.

Col 1:29
For which I also labor, striving according to the working of Him who works in me in power.
Eph 3:20
Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us...

Why do most of us not experience the power that we are promised? Where is the wisdom? Where are the changed desires? Why are our minds, will and emotions still broken?

This is what I think. I need my soul saturated by God's Spirit. I need my mind, will and emotions renewed, conformed, and filled with power. You know what? It happens in the context of relationship with God. Specifcally, the fellowship of the Spirit. And I play a part in the process. More later...

2Co 13:14
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.

No comments: