Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Resistance is Futile!

I have come to a place in my life where I am not sure I am the best person to judge what is good and bad in my life. I tried to explain this to a friend the other day, but it’s hard to explain ideas that have taken years of life experience to form. I guess I could call it “The Principle of Non-resistance.” It is simply accepting what is, without judging it. I think Jesus implies this way of life in the way he lived, and what he taught, and it has brought peace in my life.

Let me give some background. Those who know me, know that I like to ask questions about life, and you can read my past posts for some of the struggles I’ve had with Institutional Church and with my personal relationship with God. I just could not figure out for the life of me why, if God is a personal God, interested in blessing those who are His, he would not heal His own. I could not understand why I could pour my heart out in prayer for children who were losing their mind in the BD classroom I worked in, and it would have absolutely no affect. I could not understand how I could have sacrificed a good career and friendships to enter full-time ministry and it turn out so badly. I could not understand why a large number of “sold-out Christians” had to use such great effort to conjur up an experience with God that should flow naturally if we have His Spirit in us. These are a few examples of what I was seeing in life.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I had a part in all these issues that I am more than willing to own up to. But hey, I’m just a mere human. Fallible. Weak. Ignorant. God should be able to overcome any of my petty weaknesses and make these situations “right”! But He either doesn’t work like that, or chooses not to make them “right”. At least not my idea of “right”.

At the time these things were excruciatingly painful. I resisted them because I could not understand how a loving, personal God would allow them. All of the situations I’ve mentioned above have been instrumental in making me who I am, and coming to an understanding of life that is non-resistant and peaceful. While I was in the middle of the storm I could not see the sunshine on the other side. I could not see the blessing. So, who am I to judge the situations in my life? How can I possibly label situations as good and bad when I do not have all of the information? Why would I want to when labeling brings discontent, misunderstanding, frustration, anxiety and depression?

I think this is what Jesus was getting at when he said, “ Do not resist evil” and “Let your Yes be Yes, and your No be No.”

So here is the understanding I’ve come to. God has a reason to let the universe unfold as it does. Accept what is. Resistance if futile.

Mat 5:37 Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.
Mat 5:38 "Here's another old saying that deserves a second look: 'Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.'
Mat 5:39 Is that going to get us anywhere? Here's what I propose: 'Don't hit back at all.' If someone strikes you, stand there and take it.
Mat 5:40 If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it.
Mat 5:41 And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life.
Mat 5:42 No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.
Mat 5:43 "You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.'
Mat 5:44 I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer,
Mat 5:45 for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best--the sun to warm and the rain to nourish--to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty.
Mat 5:46 If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that.
Mat 5:47 If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
Mat 5:48 "In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.


Mat 6:31 What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving.
Mat 6:32 People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works.
Mat 6:33 Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Mat 6:34 "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

4 comments:

Ink Flinger said...

Roger,

Have you ever read the Tao Te Ching? Looking at that (along with a pinch of Zen)is what really brought me back to many of these same verses you have posted. In Taosim, there is a concept called Wu Wei, which is sometimes translated as non-action or "do nothing," the idea of living without effort and resistance. Sounds a lot like walking by the Spirit! Refusing to judge what is good or bad due to lack of information is another Taoist idea.

Looking into these lovely, heretical connections :-) over the past year has given me new eyes and ears to look at Jesus' life and words, and it has really helped me appreciate the Quaker philosophy that "there is that of God in every man."

Matt

Kent said...

Roger, reading this made me think of the apostle Paul saying that he judged no man according to the flesh....he then said, I don't even judge myself.

Pretty cool some of the things your are seeing and I also I guess one could say, some of the things you used to think you could see and accepting today that you don't.

Roger said...

Yes, Matt I am reading it now! I used to be a person that looked at how Christianity was different from other religions, now I try to see what is the same. It has been incredibly freeing both intellectually and spiritually. But I've already been accused of being a Bahai!

Kent, I remember living in California and getting glasses for the first time. I didn't know how bad my eyes had gotten and saw the mountains is crisp detail for the first time. It's something like that...

MaryAnn Mease said...

good stuff Roger...glad you are writing again.