Thursday, May 21, 2009

Afraid of Nothing

I've been rather quiet here as of late. That usually means I am experiencing and processing new things. It seems to be my pattern of life. Learn, grow, settle, rest, Learn, grow, settle rest... I'm cool with it.

Here is a response to a post on Divine Nobodies (slightly edited). I was overly tired when I wrote it, but I think its getting to the core of where I am at, and possibly where I am going. Feel free to "push back". I am just trying to put into words, what I'm not sure can be put into words. A finger pointing at the moon.

I can really only speak about my journey. I’ve been “restless” most of my life. Feeling like there was something I was missing in life. I’ve given myself fully to various belief systems only to find them incomplete, only partially true at best. I’ve also had the experience of “unplugging” from those systems of belief which is not always pretty, and quite often painful. From my small experience, I would say you are on the right track with this post Jim!

The journey for me is about the “truth”. What is true? Who am I? What am I? Ruthlessly stripping away the illusions and delusion and seeing life for what it is. As I strip away what is "false" I am left with more of what is "true". Looking back threw my blog posts I would say that is exactly what I've been doing.

I will be blunt and honest, as usual. After studying several different religions with an eye for what they had in common, it all has come down to “Oneness”. Every religion has a mystical strain that sees all life as One, that sees the “Father” in all things, in all people. There is a place from which everything is born and that place also exists within us. It is the place where we commune internally with God. Some may call it non-dual awareness. Some may choose to call it the Holy Spirit.

I do know that I have increasingly experienced, and continue to experience, this abiding peace you talk about. A place of non-struggle, non-anxiety, I guess you could call it peace. It has been born from pain, struggle, anxiety and delusion. And it thrives when I simply accept life for what it is, not judging, just being. It is not something that I necessarily cultivate. It just is.

I think human-kind is afraid of nothingness. We are afraid of not existing, and the ego wants to exist eternally. So we have developed complex myths and fairy tales to soothe our fear. The problem is that nothingness still exists, religion just tries to change the blackness to dark gray so we can stomach it, or forget about it, and go on with our overly-busy lives and small identities.

Attempting to understand and comprehend God is a necessary part of the journey. One that ends in futility, leaving us with further to go if we care about what is true.

Peace you you all!

No comments: