Friday, April 02, 2004

Subtle Arrogance

In the past few weeks I’ve participated in, or read some disturbing conversations with people that claim to be on a “different spiritual plane” than the rest of us, and therefore are more mature. Mind you, these are good folks who are on a deep spiritual journey, and are misunderstood by some people. I write this just as much for my own benefit because I struggle with some of these issues too. The bottom line is: Maturity is found just as much in what we do, as it is in what we believe.

There is large chasm between what the Church is and what God would like the Church to be. I struggle with this big-time. I’m an Idealist through and through. I also tend toward pessimism. I can make Swiss cheese out of any plan you give me. God has been working on me in this area and here is what I’ve found: Maturity is found in how you deal with the gap between the ideal and the reality. I have a choice. I can whine, moan and bitch about every little thing that falls short of the ideal, or I can do something to change it. That doesn’t mean I won’t ever critique, or discern the problems, but it does mean that once I discern the problem I will do something constructive about it. It doesn’t mean that I won’t deconstruct things that need to be deconstructed, but it does mean that I will attempt to construct something after the deconstruction (What did I just say?).

There is a difference between critiquing something, or someone, and believing that your way is the only way. If you believe that you’ve been made privy to some “hidden knowledge,” that is great (maybe). Crusading against everyone who has a different point of view, or is not as “enlightened” is not a sign of maturity. There are constructive ways and destructive ways to challenge people, and I am seeing a lot of destruction from people that claim to be mature. Maturity is found in “growing in grace and knowledge,” “rebuking with patience,” and humility. Maybe maturity is found in the gentleness and patience we use with those who are not as “spiritually mature” as we are.

There is a subtle arrogance that can creep into our conversations and decision-making processes that reveals our true maturity, or lack of it. Yes, I see things differently. It doesn’t mean that everyone else is wrong. People are in different places on their journey. If God is leading you to believe that you, or your group, are the sole proprietors of truth it’s time to take a humility check. If you’re boasting about “how God revealed to you how little you really know about Him,” it’s still boasting.

Lastly, I think maturity is found in service. Isolating ourselves from the larger body of Christ because “they don’t get it” just reveals our immaturity. Is there a time to separate and try something “new.”? Hell, yeah. But, that doesn’t mean we should let spiritual arrogance keep us from fellowshipping with, encouraging, and teaching those who choose to do church a traditional way, or from those who we perceive as less mature.

No comments: