Monday, July 19, 2004

Trust: Where the Rubber Meets the Road

We are all in different places on the journey toward trusting Father, and we are all in different places in our lives. Some of us are young adults, some are parents of young children, some are just starting careers, and some are retired. That is what makes the Church so interesting: We bring the differences in our experiences of life, and our common experience of Christ in us, and learn from each other.

My life experience right now is causing me to trust "where the rubber meets the road." I am finishing college, have small children to take care of, an old house to fix up, and very little money to live on. My patient, loving, nurturing wife has been so gracious to go back to work full-time while I finish my degree and work at a church part-time, but she really desires to be at home with the kids. The problem is, that my aspirations have completely changed since I started college. The original plan was to be a full-time worship leader at a church....not gonna happen.... I have been thinking/praying/listening about pursuing a Master's Degree in Professional Counseling...we'll see....

So, as Trish and I have talked/argued/cried about these things the past few weeks I've been asking myself some questions: Does God care what I do for a living? Does he care if I can't afford to take care of my house? Does he care if I can't afford gymnastics for my daughter? Does he care if my wife can't stay home. I don't mean these things in a negative way, and I don't mean to whine. But, these issues are "where the rubber meets the road" with trust in our lives right now.

It is fine to talk about the theory of trusting God, but when the issues of life are in your face it is time to live it out. I think the deeper question is: What does trust look like? Is trust active, or passive? Do I just sit on my couch all day and wait for some divine inspiration/revelation, or do I sign up for the Master's program and see what happens? Is trusting God for my sanctification a different process than trusting him for life decisions?


No comments: