Saturday, September 13, 2008

Preface to the "Good Stuff"

We have been on a long spiritual journey. It's been messy, but beautiful. You can read my past posts over the last 5 or 6 years to get a glimpse. The journey has been life-long, but more recently started with questioning if institutional forms of church were helpful in the spiritual journey. I can say that it was not very helpful for me. Additionally, I had serious reservations about attending church with a group of people that believed if a person did not believe in a literal 6-day creation they were not a Christian. That led me to question my understanding of the Bible, how it should be used and it's place in my journey. A process which is still in play...

Let's just say that I would have been considered an exclusivist and an absolutists when it came to Christianity. I held beliefs about Christianity that were intellectually and spiritually arrogant, and misinformed. Part of this journey has been an investigation of science and religion and how they compliment each other which has led me to question my position. The investigation is ongoing and incomplete, but essentially I am asking:

What is the common theme behind our world's religions, and does that tell me anything about human nature in general and what we are seeking?


What does it tell me about the God who created this beautifully diverse world as well as our vast universe?

What philosophies and traditions help me understand the universe and our place in it, the world in which I live, and which produce real, lasting results in my life?

I listened to a lot of Christian radio as a new Christian in Texas. Most of it was radically conservative to the point that they manufactured solutions to refute scientific evidence about the age of the earth, Darwinism etc. Can I just say that if religion or philosophy completely flies in the face of science there is a good chance that its in error? Science is mostly interested in finding truth (meaning, "saying of something that is, that it is"). I just cannot believe that reason has to be thrown out in order to be spiritual person. So, I have remained open to psychology and quantum physics etc. and what they have to say about the universe and the mind.

I am not concerned with the language and labels of Christianity in this journey. If Christianity is what I was taught it is, "the only religion that makes it possible to have a true relationship with God", then it will rise to the top of list. I am not forsaking Christianity, but trying to rightly see its place in the scheme of all religions. I am not forsaking the Bible but trying to see it for what it is and use it appropriately. However, because I have been so ignorant of other religions, traditions, philosophies and sciences I feel that I need to "distance" myself from it for awhile in order to get a better overview.

I'm sure there are plenty of "holes" in my thinking here. I'm not a scientist, or a religious scholar. I'm just a dude that is doing the best he can living life and trying to understand his place in it. I don't know what I will find in the end, but I do know that God is big enough to handle the questions. I am not afraid.

In the end all of the theories and philosophies we have been taught come down to experience. What real, tangible difference does it make in your life? You will have to find that out for yourself...and that's what I'm doing.

8 comments:

Ink Flinger said...

You're describing pretty accurately where I am as well, Roger. I look forward to hearing more!

Roger said...

It's nice to know if I'm crazy, at least I'm not alone! :-)

steve s said...

There's about 6 1/2 billion crazy people out the with you...

Anonymous said...

That's very "good stuff" Roger! Packing up your tents and moving on just about makes me want to cry. I only wish a few more would do this.
.
I'm sure you will find what you are looking for - providing you keep going. I wish you all the best.
.
Just a thought! Don't forget to check out what could be inside you. That's new ground and we need a few pioneers to go there. A lot of those other areas that you are wanting to investigate have had regular and thorough scrutiny and found wanting. Brian - NZ

Roger said...

Stay tuned Brian...that's part of the "good stuff", just haven't had time to write...

bruced said...

For some time now, I've sensed a newness in me, and all around me. I've come to believe that the Christ-event had nothing to do with starting a new religion, but quite the contrary, was a means to set people free from religous thinking. I think that God provided an incredible revelation that enabled the observer to break free from the physical, so they can more fully enjoy the spiritual. Coming to an understanding of "God in us" was probably the most life-changing thing that has ever happened to me. It really does come down to the experiential, and the ways that life can be transformed by a simple "change of mind". I am truly in a good place now, and anticipate it getting even better as I learn to let go of the baggage religion had heaped onto me, and float higher.

Even since the early days, Roger, I've sensed a connection between our spirits. We are much alike in many ways. Not that alikeness is required, but it is a sign of connectedness. I like the way that feels.

Great peace to you all as you journey further into the heart of the Father. See you around the web!

Roger said...

I agree Bruce. I think connectedness and oneness are great words to describe it.

Peace to you to!

Anonymous said...

Bruce told me I needed to check you out as it has been a long time since we have interacted. It is good to see that you are in a place of questioning. I hope that you find the answer to what you are searching for. Please visit us at BOLDGRACE.COM sometime. Also Please checkout an event we had about a year ago here
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=grace%20gathering

Peace
Geo

www.boldgrace.com