Friday, January 16, 2004

Role of Friendship in Spiritual Transformation

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to the role of mentors/friends in our spiritual transformation. I think this gets to the heart of why community is so important in our culture. I happened upon an article while writing a paper for school by Christy Morr from Talbot School of Theology that brings up some interesting points:

1. Spiritual transformation is an ongoing, dynamic, cooperative work between God and the individual.

2. Spiritual transformation is more than a cognitive pursuit with the end goal of a correct set of beliefs. It is a dynamic, interactive relationship with God himself.

3. "The Old and New Testaments are filled with reminders of our connectedness to others and our fruitlessness without that awareness. Nor is it possible to grow up in Him by simply embracing the concept without allowing the reality of needs and presence of others to cut across our lifestyle" (Gorman 1993).

4. "God's relationship with humans is one of intimate bonding, so that all human intimacies are 'rehearsals' for the ultimate reunion of humans with their creator."


There is no doubt that I need relationships to grow. But, seeing my relationships with others as an experiential model for friendship with God takes it to another level for me. If I can't trust others, can I trust God? If I can't be transparent with my friends, can I be transparent with God? If I don't know what it's like to be a friend and have a friend, will I be able to accept the friendship of Jesus (John 15:14)?

No comments: