Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Individualism Continued

I could go into a long diatribe about individualism and how I believe it influences our perceptions of what church is and what it means to be a Christian, but I don’t think most people care. This is one of those topics that us abstract thinkers like to ponder though. I think most people would agree that we live in a “me first” culture, and that we all have been influenced to some extent, especially in our Western culture, by individualism.

For instance, I have had times of tremendous individual spiritual growth as the result of prayer, solitude, fasting, study and meditation. These were done in a private matter, for my own benefit as an individual, between God and me. This growth may, or may not have had any influence on the community as a whole. I am implying that faith is both an inward and an outward journey.

I could say, salvation begins with an individual decision, but then implies an ecclesial responsibility that transcends self-interest. I’m not sure if that is an accurate statement either, because salvation didn’t begin with me, but with God and has been communicated to me through the stories, actions, and history of the Community of Believers.

There is a tension between the individual and the community. As a Christian in a community, and as a community full of Christians, each has an obligation to influence the other for the common good (God’s Kingdom Come). Interdependence doesn’t happen without dependence. Interdependence doesn’t happen without independence either.

A practical example that I’ve experienced is interpreting Scripture, or prophecy. I have felt that God is showing me something specifically from His word. I have chosen to share that with friends that are the journey and they have pointed out other interpretations, or things that I may have missed. Sometimes I find out that I am COMPLETELY mistaken, other times I find out I’m on the right track. Sometimes there is no agreement. Any action that I take on my interpretation has consequences in the larger community, so I submit my interpretation to them and they hold me accountable for the actions I take as a result. I can take action on what I perceive to be the Holy Spirit, which may be off-base, because I am not perfect, or I can take action on what I perceive to be the Holy Spirit informed by the community.

Is the community always right? Probably not. But there are people with more wisdom than me, people who are farther along on the journey of faith, people with more experience than me, people with more knowledge than me, and other people who are also trying to listen to the Holy Spirit that can inform me as I seek to listen to the Spirit.

No comments: