Sunday, May 15, 2005

Celebrate good times, come on!

Bored at work? Try Guess-the-Google! Don't ask, just try it.

I walk the stage to get my diploma Saturday. It's kind of bitter-sweet for me. We had to sacrifice quite a bit for me to finish college, and the payoff has been less than spectacular. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I finished, but our plans have changed so drastically since we first started this journey that the degree is not exactly helpful....who knows down the road.... Also, as if you didn't know this, I love to learn. I love ideas. So, in that way I miss school....

The good news is that we will be having a little graduation bash for some family and friends, coupled with #2 daughters birthday party! I really look forward to that! Let me run a quote by you that I heard the other day about celebration:

The Church doesn't really have anything to say to the world until we can throw better parties.

This got me thinking...How many church parties have I been to in organized religion? Let's see: I've been to some really exciting potlucks. . . I've eaten a few wild and crazy casseroles in my day. We just had National Day of Prayer at the town square. . .they did give away some free frozen custard (gotta have something for the bait and switch, right?). Our services are supposed to be a party. . . yawn. . .although I have been to some charismatic services where I swore some folks had been sippin' the sauce.

I don't think Jesus was afraid of a good party as I read it. And, he wasn't going to stuffy evangelical Christian parties either! He was turning water in to wine brotha! AFTER people were already getting soused! He was at the "sinner" parties. AND THEY LIKED HIM!

So, with that in mind, we are gonna have some fun to celebrate my graduation. A jumphouse sidewalk chalk, and squirt guns for the kiddos, adult beverages and washers for the adults (after a few adult beverages I may jump in the jumphouse too!), food, friends ...sounds like Kingdom Come to me!

No comments: