Sunday, November 23, 2008

In Memory of Maggie



Our family dog suddenly moved on to the next realm of existence yesterday. It's been couple days of dealing with grief, digging holes, and thinking about the impermanence of life. Here's a few observations:

Life is ultimately unsatisfactory.

Death is so quick, casual and non-discriminate that it leads me to believe there is something on the other side, though I don't have enough information to know what it is with certainty.

It broke my heart to have to carry the carcass of a being that was once fully alive.

I don't grieve for the being that has died, but for myself.

Time is short. Nothing is certain. Love hard. Love Deep. Love as long as you have breath.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Sorry for you loss, Roger.

It broke my heart to have to carry the carcass of a being that was once fully alive.

This is, to me, the most shocking part of death.

steve s said...

Yes,

I remember when one of ours got hit by a car and died. A few days later I looked out the window and saw my youngest leaning with her head on the doghouse just sobbing. I don't think I'll ever forget it. Dixie was her name. A nice Golden.

Actually was my, and our family's first dog.

bruced said...

Feelin for ya, bro. Been through it many times myself. It's never easy, no matter how many time we experience.

My heart sobs.