Friday, June 11, 2004

We had a good time last night. We drove 2 hours to Peoria to play some music for the United Methodist Conference. It is an interesting event.... I am so sensitive to the hypocrisy of the IC and heirarchical system that it was hard to concentrate on what I was there for....the most fun was just getting to fellowship on the ride up and back.

I was so proud of the band! We played for 3,000 people and everything went really well! Heck, Bob has only been playing bass for a few months...tough gig for a newbie. Actually, that was the biggest crowd I have every played for....I always new I'd play for large crowds...who knew it would be the UMC Conference! :-)

In my study I came across these verses:

Joh 17:1-3 Jesus said these things. Then, raising his eyes in prayer, he said: Father, it's time. Display the bright splendor of your Son so the Son in turn may show your bright splendor. You put him in charge of everything human So he might give real and eternal life to all in his charge. And this is the real and eternal life: That they know you, The one and only true God, And Jesus Christ, whom you sent.

Jesus has told us that eternal life consists of knowing Father and Jesus! Another example of how I missed the boat by understanding the Gospel to be a proposition to which I needed to give mental assent, and a moral code I must follow. It is in getting to know him intimately that I taste eternal life.

Is this what Jesus meant when he said:

Mar 1:15 The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God draws near. Repent, and believe the gospel.

Jesus is saying: A new era is here! This is a decisive, life-changing time! Change your life! Rethink your life! Reorder your life! The kingdom of God is in me! Get to know me and join the kingdom! Eternal life begins now! Trust in, lean back on, rest in this good news!

No comments: