Thursday, June 03, 2004

I'm going through he Gospel of John to get to know Jesus better. Trying to understand what was really important to Him. Jesus is present, the Spirit is teaching, the Father is being revealed.

Today I read John 14. There is so much there it is unreal! The keywords that Jesus says over and over are: believe, works, Spirit, love.

I was struck by these verses again...for the first time...

John 14:5-7
Thomas said, "Master, we have no idea where you're going. How do you expect us to know the road?" Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him. You've even seen him!"

I can relate to Thomas. A little honest, skeptical, and uninhibited. He voiced what he was feeling...confusion, despair, bewilderment...

Jesus' answer to him is earth-shattering. He doesn't claim to know the way, the truth and life as some type of formula he can teach us. He says, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life." He is the the answer! The answer is found in relationship with Him!

I have always focused so much on 14:6 that the next verse seemed to get lost. The word for "knew" in the Greek implies a journey ie. "came to know". In 14:7 Jesus is saying that if we have an experiential relationship with Him we will know the Father! We are to have a progressive, experiential relationship with Jesus as a way to the Father.

Jesus is the Road because His sinlessness allows him a clear view of the Father. Jesus is Truth because He makes sense of life. He is the Life. Death could not conquer Him. He is the source of all life, spiritual and physical! In knowing, resting and living with Him the Road, Truth and Life are ours!

No comments: