Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Is the "wilderness" a place for Christians?

Isn't it interesting that when a Christian has a time of doubt, struggle, or depression other Christians either want to fix it, deny it, ignore it, or blame the person for what they are going through? Isn't it kind of like going to a hospital for help where they shoot the wounded? I heard Mike Yaconelli speak one time about how Christians go through seasons in their spiritual life. We always want the sun to shine! The fact is that it must rain, we must have dry seasons etc. it is part of the cycle of spiritual formation. Sometimes in the valley you can't see what waits over the next mountain. Can we believe that God is using this time in the Christian's life to prepare him for the next time of abundance, ministry, growth...?

Many scholars believe that Paul dealt with depression at least one time. Check out 2 Corinthians:

2 Cor. 1:8
For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction which came to us in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life;

2 Cor. 2:12-13
Now when I came to Troas for the gospel of Christ and when a door was opened for me in the Lord,
I had no rest for my spirit, not finding Titus my brother; but taking my leave of them, I went on to Macedonia.

2 Cor. 7:5-7
For even when we came into Macedonia our flesh had no rest, but we were afflicted on every side: conflicts without, fears within. But God, who comforts the depressed, comforted us by the coming of Titus; and not only by his coming, but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you, as he reported to us your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me; so that I rejoiced even more.


Let's set this in context. This is Paul we are talking about here. Fearless, Spirit wielding, kickin' butt and takin' names apostle and church planter. He starts out this letter by saying the affliction he went through in Asia caused him to be burdened excessively. Sounds pretty heavy. How heavy? Beyond our strength heavy. What did it cause him to do? Despair even of life. Sounds like depression to me...

Now, the way I remember it was (I could be wrong here).... Paul was so depressed about what was going on where he was, and in Corinth (the problems addressed in 1 Corinthians) that Paul, the super-Churchplanter, didn't even want to go to Troas where there was clearly an open door. That doesn't sound like the Paul that I know and love.... So he goes to Macedonia instead, where his flesh has no rest, he is beset by conflicts without and fears within. Kinda sounds like he might be "feeling sorry for himself" to me.....but that's not the end of the story....

God comforts the depressed! How does He do it? By the presence of a friend. Paul seems to be reminding himself in the letter...

2 Cor. 4:1 ...we do not lose heart...
2 Cor. 4:16 ...we do not lose heart...
2 Cor. 5:1ff Even if this earthly tent is torn down. I will not lose heart! (My paraphrase)

I don't think it's helpful to blame, criticize, deny, or try to fix the depression, doubt, struggle (wilderness experiences) of our brothers and sisters in Christ. I think God can, and does, use those times for His purposes. If Paul went through it, what makes us any different? What the person needs to hear is "Don't lose heart" as they are blessed by the presence of a friend.


No comments: