Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Needing Your Prayers...

So I go to my Grandma's funeral to honor her and to support my mom. My Grandma married a guy 25 years ago that is a little odd, to put it mildly. No offense, I know everyone from Tennessee isn't like this, but he is a backwoods, hillbilly type. He has passed his insecurities and issues on to his kids, so our trip was stress filled. There was so much tension at the viewing that our side of the family wasn't even introduced to anyone from the other side. I won't go into all of the details....it was not fun.

Once again I was struck by the impermanance of our life on earth. I saw my Grandma in the casket and everything that she was, was gone. She was just an empty shell. It just reminds me that there is more to our life than what we see, touch, taste and feel.

Then Trish gets an email from her mom that is pure venom. Hateful, vicious stuff, meant for evil purposes. I can't understand a mother who would do that kind of crap to their child. We made the decision some time ago that we did not want her around our family. Emails, phone calls and pictures would have to suffice as "honoring" her.

All of this is just another reminder that we are to be family to each other in the Kingdom of God. Spiritual fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters. Something that can only be accomplished as we gather in small communities where love, honesty, and openness can flurish and we can stand by each other as we deal with the crap of life.

No comments: