Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Church?

(Trish) This weekend was eye opening to me. I realized that I am still disenchanted with CHURCH and that there's a big part of me that can’t bare the thought of leaving one person behind. I am angry at the finely tuned machine we have become. I am angry that we need bodies with bank accounts to fill our churches so we can pay for our churches and give really little or nothing to the person giving his/her money. Is this what Jesus wants? I think not.

In our group on Friday night I sort of let all of this out and I think I may have offended someone when I suggested that at times I feel like I am being disobedient by continuing to go to CHURCH. I was told that this person feels like they are being disobedient by not going. I used to feel that way too thinking that somehow we could facilitate change. That my presence and attitude could make them change their mind! I think it’s not possible unless God directly intervenes. And I am not sure at this point he will.

Let me say that we went to NA for several years and we were ministered to and we were able to minister to others. However, we hit a spiritual plateau of sorts, felt the pull of Holy Spirit and started going to church. We were blessed because we found a group of believers that nurtured us back to health. But even then there were times that Roger & I would talk about how people were treated better in NA than in the church! How can this be!? The very Bride of Christ doesn’t practice the heart of what our Savior taught! We don’t love! We don’t really care that there are people out there who have never heard the Gospel! We are comfortable in our buildings and have committees that are designed to come up with new and great ideas on how to get people to the building! This generation does not want or need to go to a church that has no idea where the culture is or where it’s going. Kids of today won’t jump up and down when they see a church marquee that reads,” Our choir is 50 years old! Come celebrate with us!”

I will stop ranting for now. My eyes are open and I see the truth and it still hurts. I pray that I will be open to Holy Spirits leading when an opportunity presents itself for me to minister & to love.

No comments: