Tuesday, October 28, 2003

The experiment continues...Can I live in two worlds?
We had another "leadership meeting" for our small group ministry last night. I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable trying to rationalize to these guys the reasons for the structure and accountability that the pastor wants. These families are some of the very few in the whole church that are taking responsibility for their spiritual growth and they asked a lot of good questions about the structure last night. Unfortunately, the pastor wasn't there to answer the questions so I had to tell them his side of the story. The bottom line is that the institutional church has an inherent controlling structure that many people bristle at. The pastor is accountable to the district and bishop and if something weird should happen in the small group ministry he will be held accountable. I can see his point of wanting oversight and accountability. It's his butt on the line, but this inherent control structure really turns people off.

The good news is that the leaders see the need for relational and missional ministry at this level and are committing to it. Some have committed to quitting other ministries to have the time they need for building relationships. That tells me they are at least taking what I am saying seriously. There is still a long way to go...with them, and in me....

+God, help me to be faithful to the people you have called me to be with. Help me to stay faithful to the life and lifestyle you have called me to. Keep me grounded in your Kingdom and fill me with power to love the unlovely, heal the hurting, mend the broken and search for the missing. Let this lifestyle be a light on a hill for those that are seeking. +

No comments: