Thursday, October 09, 2003

I had an intersting talk with our pastor last night. We are a pragmatic, institutional, contemporary Methodist church with about 250 members. I work there part-time as a worship and small group coordinator.

We were talking about the changes in culture and the position the institutional church now finds itself in. He brought up an interesting point. His congregation is about 25% traditional, 25% postmodern, and 50% that have one foot in both mindsets. This puts him in a tough position. He knows that changes have to be made, but how do you do it without blowing the minds of those who don't even know the culture is changing? I can feel for him....

As for myself, I am still struggling with whether to stay and try to be a voice for missional church theology in a pragmatic church situation, or do I take Robert Webber's advice and do home church with missional values from the start? I am hoping that my time at Vineyard Central will provide us with some clarity...

+ God, I think I know, but I really don't know. Help me to be a blessing and servant to others. Give me direction and guidance in the midst of confusion, or just make this confusion lead me closer to you. +

No comments: